Low Vision Evaluation
Experience a Comprehensive Low Vision Evaluation
We are experts in low vision. Our evaluations are not like any eye exam you have had before. Over the course of one to two hours our physicians will conduct a comprehensive low vision exam that creates a thorough and detailed road-map of your sight.
We want to know;
- What level of vision do you have now?
- What do you want to do each day and what level of sight do you need to accomplish that?
- What advanced medical devices and innovative prototypes do we have that can reach those goals?
Once those questions have been answered, our physicians can create a successful road map that will take you to enhanced vision and the ability to do the things you love every day.
What is a low vision evaluation like?
The purpose of the exam is to help physicians understand, and patients articulate, the ways in which low vision impacts the ability to function in daily life. We do this through proven questions and clinical tools. Our clinical exam of your sight, combined with first hand demonstrations of its function, will give our physicians the comprehensive information they need to enhance your vision.
Here are some examples of what you can expect in a low vision exam.
- Our low vision doctor will use special charts and ophthalmic techniques to “draw out” any residual vision that may be “hiding” in the periphery of your vision.
- You will be asked very specific questions about your current level of sight and the daily activities you can and cannot perform. This includes discussions of your goals and priorities for sight; do you want to be able to drive, read, sew, knit, golf?
- You may be asked to bring in samples of things you read and use during the course of your regular day; phones, laptops, materials from hobbies including books, knitting directions, magazines etc.
- Our vision specialists will determine an appropriate new prescription, magnification, and how much, it can be improved.